As plumbing and HVAC technicians, we realize that we are fortunate to have received education and training that allow us to pursue a fulfilling and challenging career and provide for our families. We are excited that we are now able to pay forward our good fortune to the next generation of individuals wishing to enter this rewarding field.
Swan Plumbing, Heating & Air Student Scholarship Award Program
We recently announced the launch of our scholarship award program for students wishing to enter the plumbing, heating, and air conditioning field or related careers, such as home design or engineering. Each year, we will award a $1,000 scholarship to a deserving student to help them complete their training and education at the college or trade school of their choice.
• Only 6 percent of high school students choose a career in the trades compared to 66 percent who opt for higher education.
• Only one-third of the jobs expected to be created in the coming years will require a college degree.
• For every two jobs requiring a college degree, there are seven that require a trade certificate or 2-year degree.
• Only one skilled trades worker is entering the workforce for every three that are leaving.
• The turnover rate of employees in the skilled trades is projected to be 60 percent over the next 10 years. One reason for the high turnover is that a large percentage of skilled trades workers are approaching retirement age.
• More than one-third of employers around the world report having difficulty filling jobs for skill trades workers, technicians, and engineers. More than half of these employers report that the difficulty filling these jobs impacts their ability to serve their clients.
Why Pursue a Career in Plumbing or HVAC?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the plumbing and HVAC fields are among the fastest growing in the country. Both fields are projected to experience 21 percent growth during the decade from 2012 to 2022. The increased demand for high-efficiency heating and cooling systems means the need for qualified technicians to perform installations and maintenance will also increase. Likewise, there will always be a need for qualified plumbers. There is also little risk that these jobs will be lost due to automation or outsourcing.
Unlike other careers that require years of college costing thousands without the opportunity of making money, a trade profession allows you to enter the workforce quickly with relatively minimal tuition. In some cases, you can even earn money while receiving on-the-job training or working as an apprentice. Skilled trades workers also have the opportunity to chart their own career path. You can work your way up through the ranks at a large company or even start your own business.
Traits of Successful Plumbers and HVAC Technicians
To be successful in any field, it is important to have a passion for what you are doing as well as certain skills and traits. The following are a few traits and skills common among great service technicians.
- You should have excellent communication skills and be able to work in coordination with others.
- You should have the ability to provide outstanding customer service even under adverse circumstances.
- You need the ability to understand and execute mechanical concepts.
- You must be able to problem solve and adapt to unexpected situations.
- You should have excellent time management skills and the ability to work under minimal direct supervision.
- You must be detail-oriented and have the ability to multi-task.
- You should be able to understand and keep up with constantly changing regulations and building codes.
Our scholarship is open to students anywhere in the country. Applications must be received by December 31, and the recipient will be announced in time for the spring semester. The application process is simple. We simply want to know a little bit about you and why you are interested in a career in plumbing, HVAC, home design, or engineering. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions about the program.